Saturday, April 2, 2011

Reed and Barry's Bose Ride adventure

It's Saturday afternoon at MATS, getting a little late, but time for one more feat from our media crew.

Land Line Now's Reed Black and Barry "Ice Man" Spillman decided to see how good their teeth were. No, it has nothing to do with German Roasted Nuts left over from last year.

They just tried out the Bose Ride electromagnetic suspension system. Winner of the Truck Writers of North America Technical Achievement Award for this year, the Bose Ride replaces the conventional truck seat with a seat that works by using a high-powered linear electromagnetic actuator and some other super-technical stuff to detect the vibration and compensate for it.

Reed and Barry first sat in a regular seat, sans Bose, on this simulator that jounced their bones (up to 4 inches in up-and-down) enough to chatter a driver's teeth and make a person half cross-eyed. Then they tried the same torturous jounce only with Bose Ride.

I ran into Reed in the MATS press room AFTER the test and he described the experience as amazing. I'd tell you more, but I'd be spilling the beans on his plan to do a story on it for next week's Land Line Now show on Sirius XM satellite radio.

As a hint, however, his comment to me sounded a lot like one I hear from truckers all the time: "You are not going to believe this, but ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment