Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Goodbye Jessie. Hello MATS

The dog is mad at me. She saw the suitcase come out and knows she can’t come with me this time. I’m smiling and humming as I figure out what to pack and what to leave behind. You’d think I was leaving civilization and heading to a place where whatever I forgot can’t be found ever again. The piles of stuff I’ve been stashing all over the house like a squirrel storing nuts for the winter have been consolidated. In one pile is a stack of Land Line Magazines, a couple of umbrellas and some duct tape. Another pile has my trusty TWNA (Truck Writers of North America) badge holder, some business cards, my favorite pen and a blank notebook. The badge holder is covered in pins collected from years of attendance. My favorite is a round button that says "I Heart Trucks." It still has last year’s MATS badge safely tucked inside. Socks, extra socks, a Land Line hoodie with pockets in case it’s a little chilly or I need to cover my head while taking pix in the rain (been there, done that). Bandaids, ibuprofen, antacid, tissues. Batteries, power cords, chargers and lip balm. Oil changed, junk out of the trunk, fuel gauge on FULL, trip odometer reset to zero.

Woo Hoo. I’m headed to MATS and it feels like Christmas Eve. I’m filled with anticipation. I didn't sleep well last night -- kept waking up thinking 'bout what I packed, what I didn't, but it doesn’t matter. This afternoon I’ll be there. Even though I could head to the hotel first and get checked in, there’s no doubt in my mind where my wheels will be rolling. I’m headed straight to the prep lot to check out the trucks … and visit with old friends.

There’s no place else I’d rather be than Looavull and the Mid-America Trucking Show. Trucks, drivers, press conferences, chrome, news, new products, pork chop sammiches … I want it all. Sorry, dog. Love you, gonna miss you, I’ll be home soon. Take care of things while I’m gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment